[ARMedslack] ARM GCC Native compiling...

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Fri Nov 5 10:13:45 UTC 2010

> during the development of slackedarm did you use slackbuilds?

Yes but also a lot was done manually because some things won't build
without other dependencies, so you need to build them differently (usually
without a particular feature) to build bootstrap versions of them, then
package by package recompile everything over and over until you can use
the slackbuilds without modification.

> I'm trying to port slackware to a beagleboard (cortex-a8) using proper
> optimization for compiler (-mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp -mcpu=cortex-a8
> -mthumb -march=armv7-a) but i'm having big troubles especially during
> cross-compiling of GCC (to build native GCC for ARM)...
> Have you any suggestions in this sense? To build the native (ARM) GCC did you
> use the GCC version provided with slackware sources?

Check the armedslack-current/source/d/gcc directory and the
gcc.SlackBuild.  You'll find the patches I've applied in there.

There's no gcc source in the armedslack tree because armedslack is built
"against" the x86_64 source tree.  This is described in
armedslack-current/source/README.TXT

After you've looked at the gcc.SlackBuild script, perhaps you could build
your compiler natively on armedslack?  I can't think of any reason it
won't work, off the top of my head.

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org