[ARMedslack] My experience with the GuruPlug

Thierry Merle thierry.merle at free.fr
Mon May 31 08:15:48 UTC 2010

Le Mon, 31 May 2010 00:30:43 -0500,
Robby Workman <rw at rlworkman.net> a écrit :

> Well, this has been a fun (and annoying) process...  :-)

[..]

> FWIW, I'm also getting the stacktrace on halt/reboot:
>
> The system is going down for reboot NOW!
> INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal
> INIT: SendingRunning shutdown script /etc/rc.d/rc.6:
> Saving system time to the hardware clock (UTC).
> Stopping system message bus...
> Unmounting remote filesystems.
> [  112.344583] default_device_exit: failed to move eth0 to init_net:
> -22 [  112.356199] kernel BUG at net/core/dev.c:5805!
-EINVAL error return is the cause of the bug.
dev/net/core.c for 2.6.33.5, in dev_change_net_namespace():
5799                /* Push remaing network devices to init_net */
5800                snprintf(fb_name, IFNAMSIZ, "dev%d", dev->ifindex);
5801                err = dev_change_net_namespace(dev, &init_net,
fb_name);
5802                if (err) {
5803                        printk(KERN_EMERG "%s: failed to move %s to
init_net: %d\n",
5804                                __func__, dev->name, err);
5805                        BUG();
5806                }
dev_change_net_namespace returns EINVAL for some reason (probably
something related to sysfs interaction).
[..]
> 5962ca148b8ec255 ]--- Saving random seed from /dev/urandom
> in /etc/random-seed. Turning off swap. Unmounting local file systems.
> tmpfs umounted tmpfs umounted /dev/sdb1 umounted usbfs
> umounted /dev/sdb2 umounted Remounting root filesystem
> read-only. /dev/sdb2 on / type ext4 (ro) Rebooting.

But finishes OK, so seems harmless.
Did you try the latest kernel (2.6.34rc6-kirkwood)?

> Anyway, it's up and running now, even though I guess I'll have to use
> the JTAG console on any kernel upgrades :/

Why the JTAG?
Each time I have to upgrade my kernel in flash, I use the running
Armedslack system to re-generate the kernel+initrd uboot images.
Then I write them into the right flash areas.
Even if something needs to be changed in the uboot command line, you can
use fw_printenv/fw_setenv from linux...
I used only 1 time the JTAG with Openocd, this was when I erased the
u-boot flash area by mistake (/dev/mtdblock0).

Thierry