[ARMedslack] Running armedslack on boards with LESS then 64 MB of ram.

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 17:56:19 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have this board: http://boff.pl/?shop=1&p_id=5
I have custom kernel (2.6.32.9) with among others the Virtual Terminal
support disabled.

I have pulled today's current and the installation went without any
problems. It seems that the system boots correctly, here are some info:
root at darkstar:~# uname -a
Linux darkstar 2.6.32.9-at91rm9200 #3 PREEMPT Sun Mar 7 17:30:01 CET
2010 armv4tl ARM920T rev 0 (v4l) Boff AT91RM9200 Board GNU/Linux

root at darkstar:~# ps -A
   PID TTY          TIME CMD
     1 ?        00:00:00 init
     2 ?        00:00:00 kthreadd
     3 ?        00:00:00 ksoftirqd/0
     4 ?        00:00:00 events/0
     5 ?        00:00:00 khelper
     8 ?        00:00:00 async/mgr
    47 ?        00:00:00 sync_supers
    49 ?        00:00:00 bdi-default
    51 ?        00:00:00 kblockd/0
    54 ?        00:00:00 kmmcd
    75 ?        00:00:00 kswapd0
    76 ?        00:00:00 aio/0
    95 ?        00:00:04 mmcqd
   134 ?        00:00:00 udevd
   169 ?        00:00:00 khubd
   194 ?        00:00:00 flush-179:0
   230 ?        00:00:00 syslogd
   234 ?        00:00:00 klogd
   355 ?        00:00:00 sshd
   369 ?        00:00:00 crond
   372 ttyS0    00:00:00 bash
   386 ?        00:00:00 udevd
   387 ?        00:00:00 udevd
   395 ?        00:00:00 sshd
   399 pts/0    00:00:00 bash
   414 pts/0    00:00:00 ps

root at darkstar:~# free -m
Mem:            29         27          2          0          1         21
-/+ buffers/cache:          4         25
Swap:

root at darkstar:~# mount
/dev/root on / type ext2 (rw,relatime,errors=continue)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)

root at darkstar:~# df -h
/dev/root             927M  177M  703M  21% /
tmpfs                  15M     0   15M   0% /dev/shm

rc.udev remains with "mount -n -o mode=0755 -t tmpfs tmpfs $UDEV_ROOT"
unchanged.

As I don't have VT support I have also commented out c1-c6 from
/etc/inittab.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski

On 03/07/2010 06:04 PM, Vitaly V. Ch wrote:
> During starting udev system hang with message like "out of space" on
> untar device files. In my case no login prompt. the root of problem is
> improper default qty of inodes at /dev
>
> \\wbr Vitaly Chernookiy
>
> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Andrzej Telszewski
> <atelszewski at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I will check it tomorrow. Can you give some more details, what exactly
>> happens? Does it boots to the stage of login prompt or it hangs before
>> that? Or does it consume so much memory, that there's nothing left for
>> applications?
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Andrzej Telszewski