[ARMedslack] A few questions on kirkwood initrd

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 17:31:50 UTC 2010

On 07/28/2010 07:00 PM, Tyler T wrote:
>> By the way, I used the extracted initrd to install Armedslack on my
>> > SD/MMC based system and there was no problem (I extracted initrd to the
>> > MMC card and booted it as my system has to little RAM to use initrd
>> > directly).
> That's clever. If I can't figure out the Load Address stuff, this
> should be a good alternative.
Hi,

This worked out of the box, just after extracting initrd to MMC. As my
processor isn't supported by the official Armedslack kernels (I'm
working on it:)), I had to compile my own kernel and then transfer it to
MMC and let know the U-Boot where the kernel is. As there's actually no
initrd, it seems to be important to compile all the drivers needed to
boot into kernel binary. In my situation it applied at least to the file
system and MMC interface drivers.

It seems that using initrd is no option for system with as little as
32MB of RAM, but when installed, Armedslack works OK on such a system
(naturally without initrd:)).

--
Pozdrawiam,
Best regards,