[ARMedslack] A few questions on kirkwood initrd

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Wed Jul 28 11:52:24 UTC 2010

> > One time I got this instructions from Stuart on how to extract initrd:
> > dd if=armedslack-current/isolinux/uinitrd-kirkwood.img  bs=64 skip=1 |
> > gzip -dc | cpio -div
>
> Ah, that worked, thank you!

The initrd for kirkwood is in "u-boot" format - it was made with u-boot's
"mkimage".

The script I use to build the kirkwood installer is here:
http://stash.armedslack.org/scripts/mk-kirkwood.sh
It just unpacks the versatile one, replaces the kernel modules with
the kirkwood ones and adds a few more.

> Unfortunately, the Dockstar won't finish booting the resulting image
> and without a serial console it's hard to say why... I may have to
> invest in a TTL-serial adapter and crack the case so I can see what's
> going on.

It could be because the installer image is too large to fit in RAM, or
into the addresses into which you're loading it.

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org