[ARMedslack] A few questions on kirkwood initrd

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 05:56:43 UTC 2010

Hi,

> I've tried to extract the initrd with gunzip and cpio; no
> luck. What format is the Armedslack installer initrd in, and how do I
> extract it?
>
> Once I can do this, I believe I can repackage it with mkinitrd and go
> from there.

One time I got this instructions from Stuart on how to extract initrd:
cd /tmp
mkdir foo
cd foo
dd if=armedslack-current/isolinux/uinitrd-kirkwood.img  bs=64 skip=1 |
gzip -dc | cpio -div

So initrd is gzipped cpio archive, but you have to skip some data;)

By the way, I used the extracted initrd to install Armedslack on my
SD/MMC based system and there was no problem (I extracted initrd to the
MMC card and booted it as my system has to little RAM to use initrd
directly).

--
Pozdrawiam,
Best regards,