[ARMedslack] What's the difference between USB<->serial devices on Arm Slack and Intel Slack?

John Oyler john.oyler at smartfield.com
Wed Jul 21 15:33:02 UTC 2010

Granted, I don't have matching release numbers exactly, I'm using 13.0 for Intel, and 13.1 for Arm.

I've been using several different USB cellular modems, internally they're several different serial/usb chipsets. As an exampl, I'll go with the Multitech MTCBA-G-U-F4. This uses the TI TUSB3410 chipset. On an intel machine, I plug it in, and I get my /dev/ttyUSB0. Absolutely no twiddling needed. If I plug it into an Arm board (the Beagleboard), it complains about missing firmware. I went ahead and copied several likely looking files out of /lib/firmware on the Intel machine over to the Arm, and things are working a bit better (I suspect it's fixed at this point), but where are those files even populated from? There doesn't seem to be anything in the L series that's random-firmware-crap.txz, and I'm not sure why it'd be present on Intel but not Arm (if anything, the Arm should have it, since I did a full install but on Intel I was picky... had to fit it into 2 gigs).

If I'm just being an idiot and screwed up the install, sorry about that. But I'd appreciate being told so.

Thanks,
John O.