[ARMedslack] Slackware 13.1 and forward is EABI...

John Oyler john.oyler at smartfield.com
Wed Jul 21 00:36:19 UTC 2010

On Jul 20, 2010, at 5:45 PM, Jim Hawkins wrote:

> c) He's actually running AS 12.2 binaries ;)

I don't think this is the case. Not in front of the machine right now, but I definitely downloaded the 13.1

On the other hand, the same source that told me this was an OABI machine also told me... well, I'll need a bit of background.

I (out of habit) create two partitions, a small one at the beginning of the device, and a large second partition that has the root filesystem. After doing so with the full AS 13.1 install on that second partition (on SD card, you have some idea how long it can take to copy that), he tells me that their boot setup (not using U-boot or anything standard) needs two DA partitions, the first houses the kernel, the second an initrd image. Ugh. So, I sort of know the answer already, but I ask him anyway "Is there any reason why I can't delete my first partition, and create two partitions in its place with these things?".  His answer? He didn't think that was possible.

I even went into fdisk advanced mode, and fixed the numbering. (And the fstab, but that goes without saying, right?).

Anyway, I'll go ahead and look up the cpu number on the ic package tomorrow, I didn't today out of laziness, the rtc battery obstructs it, and I'll have to pop that off.

I'm really hoping this thing does do EABI after all. Gonna be a pain if I have to rebuild, and I'm not sure I want to go with 12.2 anyway, there are a few packages I need newer versions of.

Thanks Jim and Stuart, I'm sure some of the stuff I ask sounds pretty dumb, and I appreciate the help. Somehow I've got to turn this into a product ready to ship in 6 months, and I've been stressing alot lately over that.

John O.