[ARMedslack] Slackware 13.1 and forward is EABI...

John Oyler john.oyler at smartfield.com
Mon Jul 19 19:27:39 UTC 2010

I'm speaking with an engineer from that company. According to him:

> The only thing is you need to make sure they are OABI and not EABI as the Cavium CPU does not support thumb instructions and therefore it does not support EABI.

I don't know whether this is correct or not. Certainly I ran several binaries from slack 13.1, and they seemed ok, but not knowing much about the instruction set or even how gcc is set up, how can I say when it would bother to use those? On Intel, just because the CPU didn't have SSE didn't mean you couldn't run some binaries compiled with that flag, since those instructions weren't always selected by the compiler.

I'd like to have Slackware on this thing, rather than debian (ugh), and I'm probably willing to compile my own 13.1 if it comes down to that... but I'd also like to steal the compiler out of 12.2 or whatever to bootstrap back up to it.

John O.

PS The wikipedia page doesn't make it clear whether a Cavium has thumb instructions, but certainly all the other ARM9 families look like they include it. Bleh.