[ARMedslack] Building software on ArmedSlack

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Tue Feb 16 10:56:29 UTC 2010

> I took a look at the pidgin SlackBuild from Slackware-current. It
> would be very nice to have a unified standard between Slackware /
> ArmedSlack / Slack/390. (I use the first two and play with the third)
> to make things simpler. Since I maintain some packages on
> SlackBuild.org, having this "unified standard" interests me so that I
> can maintain my builds for all platforms.

If you want a standard unified script: the examples of pidgin will be all
you need - because I updated these scripts for Slackware and put the
changes in :-)
Pat's also been adding the auto $ARCH detection I added to the pidgin
script, which the single "arm" architecture; but what's missing from
the main build scripts are:
 $ARCHQUADLET="-gnueabi"
and the CFLAGS of "-march=armv4t"

I could ask him to add it in as he's going, but there are still occasions
when I patch things or make modifications to get it to compile.  Without
write access to the tree to put in either patch files, or add bits of sed
and stuff to the SlackBuilds, we'd end up with a fragmented armedslack
tree - using bits of Slackware's source tree and then the odd script
dotted around armedslack's.  Fortunately I have scripts and copies of the
previous build scripts in the master tree, which makes it easy to check
what's changed and merge in the differences.

> Yes, but this was only to test the concept. The idea is to use
> Hercules on my SheevaPlug when it arrives. Then I can carry a
> mainframe around in my bag :D

Oh right, well that makes more sense.  Wow, if the emulator of Hercules
works OK in QEMU, it'll be a lot faster on the Sheevaplug.
Are S/390s really that slow?! :)

> The idea of using Qemu is that it works nice with snapshots, so I can
> fall back to a stable installation if I mess things up.

yeah tell me about it.  I bricked my -current workhorse last week when I
missed a configure option in the new version of e2fsprogs, then
upgradepkg'd the result; the system started falling over.  It took me
almost a day to work out what had happened!  Fortunately I have two
machines running -current: one live and one stable so I can login and
rebuild the packages and just reinstall the broken one using the
installer.

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org