[ARMedslack] Building software on ArmedSlack

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 12:37:42 UTC 2010

Hi,

While trying to control my anxiety until the SheevaPlug arrives, I'm
testing some possible uses for it on armedslack running on Qemu.

I tried to adapt a few SlackBuild scripts to build programs on
armedslack and took a look at the scripts from the armedslack-current
source tree and others from the Slackware-current source tree.

I noticed most of armedslack is built with the "-march=armv4t" flag.
Slackware on the other hand uses "-march=armv4 -mtune=xscale" if the
architecture is set to "arm" and "-march=armv4t" if set to "armel".

What would be the best setting for the SheevaPlug / qemu-versatile?
I've been using "-march=armv4" for now and the compiled packages are
working fine.
I would like to be able to build packages that work on both the
SheevaPlug and in Qemu, so that I can use one as a test setup before
deploying on the other. On the other hand, I would like to get the
best performance possible. :)

As an example, I built Hercules (the mainframe emulator) under
armedslack and it runs reasonably under Qemu. I want to install it on
my SheevaPlug, so that I can carry my "mainframe" with me.
Just plug it in, connect a notebook with x3270 terminal software and
wait to get some funny looks :)

Niels