[ARMedslack] ARMedSlack on Seagate Dockstar

Rich richard.lapointe at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 02:37:12 UTC 2010

My testing indicates that it not getting an ip assign during
initialization because the rc.inet1.conf file isn't configured   I'm a
wimp, so I've been using serial cable to observe what is happening.
Using a desktop with Linux (Salix OS) I partitioned a Memorex 2G USB
Stick into two partitions, one (sda1) for the root file system and a
second for a swap partitions. I untar'ed the mini file system on to
sda1, edited fstab to have sda1 mounted / and sda2 as swap. I then added
sym links for the kernel and initrd

     ln -s uImage-kirkwood-2.3.33.5 uImage
     ln -s unitrd-kirkwood02.6.33.5 uInitrd

Then I plug the stick into my dockstar (using doozan uboot along with
his rescue system) and booted it.  I monitored the boot up process with
a netconsole terminal and a serial terminal connection to the
dockstar.   The two file attached are the output of each of these
terminals during the boot process.   On the initial boot, it did boot
the kernel and started the system initialization scripts but then fdisk
the sda1 and rebooted.  The second boot did complete and I got a login
prompt on the serial terminal.  The netconole terminal stop at Starting
kernel...... , but did show the reboot into the second boot up and then
again stop at starting kernel.   Although it did boot to the login
prompt, my router did not indicate that the dockstar was connected.
Using the serial console, i looked in and checked ifconfig and fond that
there was no ip

Linux 2.6.33.5-kirkwood.
Last login: Thu Jan  1 01:00:52 +0100 1970 on /dev/ttyS0.
You have mail.
root at slackware:~# ifconfig
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
           inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
           RX bytes:560 (560.0 B)  TX bytes:560 (560.0 B)

I then checked /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf file and noticed that it wasn't
configured. I edited to use dhcp
USE_DHCP[0]="yes"
rebooted and was able to ssh into the dockstar

Rich Lapointe