[ARMedslack] ARMedSlack on Seagate Dockstar

Christophe Lyon christophe.lyon at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 20:44:20 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a Dockstar, and I have some trouble making
it boot on ARMedSlack installed on a memory stick, despite reading
messages on this mailing list.

I have replaced the original uboot by the one described on
http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/ which is configured to boot from
/dev/sda1.
After several attempts with Slackware, I have successfully booted
Debian on my memory stick using the procedure/script from
http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/, so the stick is OK :-)

I must mention that I don't have a serial cable; I have actived
uboot's netconsole, which is helpful... but not enough.

To install Slackware, I have installed the minirootfs from
ftp://ftp.armedslack.org/armedslack/armedslack-devtools/minirootfs/roots/slack-13.1-miniroot_14Jun10.tar.xz
and followed the instructions (mainly declare /dev/sda1 as '/' in
etc/fstab)

When trying to boot Slackware, here are the messages I can read:

(Re)start USB...
USB:   Register 10011 NbrPorts 1
USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus for devices... 3 USB Device(s) found
     scanning bus for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s) found
** File not found /rescueme
reading /rescueme.txt

** Unable to read "/rescueme.txt" from usb 0:1 **
Creating 1 MTD partitions on "nand0":
0x000002500000-0x000010000000 : "mtd=3"
UBI: attaching mtd1 to ubi0
UBI: physical eraseblock size:   131072 bytes (128 KiB)
UBI: logical eraseblock size:    129024 bytes
UBI: smallest flash I/O unit:    2048
UBI: sub-page size:              512
UBI: VID header offset:          512 (aligned 512)
UBI: data offset:                2048
UBI: attached mtd1 to ubi0
UBI: MTD device name:            "mtd=3"
UBI: MTD device size:            219 MiB
UBI: number of good PEBs:        1752
UBI: number of bad PEBs:         0
UBI: max. allowed volumes:       128
UBI: wear-leveling threshold:    4096
UBI: number of internal volumes: 1
UBI: number of user volumes:     0
UBI: available PEBs:             1731
UBI: total number of reserved PEBs: 21
UBI: number of PEBs reserved for bad PEB handling: 17
UBI: max/mean erase counter: 1/1
UBIFS error (pid 0): ubifs_get_sb: cannot open "ubi:rootfs", error -19
Error reading superblock on volume 'ubi:rootfs'!
1 bytes read
Found bootable drive on usb 0:1
2096780 bytes read
7706248 bytes read
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 00800000 ...
 Image Name:   Linux-2.6.33.5-kirkwood
 Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
 Data Size:    2096716 Bytes = 2 MiB
 Load Address: 00008000
 Entry Point:  00008000
 Verifying Checksum ... OK
 Image Name:   Slackware ARM Initial RAM disk f
 Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
 Data Size:    7706184 Bytes = 7.3 MiB
 Load Address: 00000000
 Entry Point:  00000000
 Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

And nothing more. Then I have tried nmap, but no service answers, so I
don't know if the kernel as booted OK or not.

I have tried to add netconsole=@192.168.0.3 to bootargs, but it looks
like the supplied kernel does not support netconsole.

Any hint?

Thanks!