[ARMedslack] Hello

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 00:45:55 UTC 2010

> I have a Dockstar coming directly from Seagate ($39 USD) and would like to
> run ARMedslack on it.  Is there a single site that provides instructions on
> how I would go about this?

http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/ has the basic procedure. Rather
than run the script, I just ran the important commands from inside the
script, to the effect of (this from within the stock DockStar OS in
NAND)

cd ~
mount -o remount,rw /
wget http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/uboot.mtd3.bin
mount -o remount,ro /
flash_eraseall /dev/mtd3
nandwrite /dev/mtd3 uboot.mtd3.bin

Since I have a serial cable, I didn't mess around with blparam or
fw_envset, I just rebooted and broke into the mtd0 u-Boot, altered the
bootcmd to be "nand read.e 0xc00000 0x2500000 0x80000; go 0xc00000",
ran saveenv, reset, and broke into the mtd3 u-Boot. Here's where
things get interesting:

I was not able to get the stock compressed armedslack uImage to boot,
no doubt because I'm clueless about what RAM address to load it in to.
So, I simply made an uncompressed kernel and that one loads just fine.
I made a small FAT partition on my USB stick with the new uImage and
the installer initrd, then from the mtd3 u-Boot ran

setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/ram rw
usb start
fatload usb 0:1 0x1800000 uinitrd-kirkwood-installer
fatload usb 0:1 0x6000000 uImage
bootm 0x6000000 0x1800000

I didn't 'saveenv' though as you should only need to do this once.
After installing armedslack from NFS to /dev/sda2 and rebooting, I
again broke into mtd3 u-Boot and this time ran

setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/sda2 ro
usb start
fatload usb 0:1 0x1800000 uinitrd-kirkwood
fatload usb 0:1 0x6000000 uImage
bootm 0x6000000 0x1800000

Later, I used mkimage to combine an uncompressed kernel and initrd
into a single 'multi' file and set my mtd3 u-Boot environment
variables thus:

setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/sda2 ro
setenv bootcmd usb start; fatload usb 0:1 0x6000000 uImage; bootm
0x6000000; reset
saveenv

I remember I had to put some quotes in that setenv bootcmd but darned
if I can remember exactly what where. ;)

If you would like a copy of my uImage w/ initrd just let me know (they
are bone stock as distributed with armedslack); I find them easier to
deal with than the two separate files. The regular one is 12MB and the
installer is 19MB. I can also give you a copy of the uncompressed
kernel by itself (4MB) but really someone needs to figure out out to
boot the stock compressed one and then tell me how they did it. :)
___
 /yler