[ARMedslack] Slackware ARM current, EABI now available

Thierry MERLE thierry.merle at free.fr
Tue Sep 22 20:05:10 UTC 2009

Hi Stuart,

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 06:51:42 -0700 (PDT)
Stuart Winter <mozes at slackware.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am pleased to announe the availability of the new EABI port of Slackware
> ARM, available as the work in progress "current" form.
> It's been a stable system for the last few months, so I'm pretty sure
> you'll have a good time using it.  All of the main 'slackware' packages
> are built - I've not yet built all of the 'extra' packages yet though.
>
> This is a new port built from scratch, using the EABI, and is
> incompatible with Slackware ARM 12.2 -- so you can't upgrade your
> 12.2 installations using upgradepkg.
>
> For more information see:
> ftp://ftp.armedslack.org/armedslack/armedslack-current/ChangeLog.txt
>
> Enjoy!

Many thanks for this release.
It installed it on my sheevaplug without any major problem since this morning.
- I used the console setup, the setup runs and I am able to select packages and process through installation steps as for a standard slackware distribution.
- After the installation, before rebooting, I flashed the uboot kernel and the uboot initrd using flash_erase/flash_eraseall/cat.
Some issues:
- the kirkwood uinitrd expects rootfs=/dev/sda4 as ext4, I had to modify it to boot properly on my system (well on a x86 slackware I always re-generate a custom initrd so I won't complain)
- in the kernel, why CONFIG_DVB_CORE (between others in multimedia section) are not compiled? I will compile them since my sheevaplug (as my NSLU2 was) is used as a digital video recorder.
In INSTALL_SHEEVAPLUG.TXT you talk about armedslack-12.2, should be armedslack-current. Not a real issue but dumb people like me could synchronize with armedslack-12.2 with in mind armedslack-current, by mistake :)

Thierry