[ARMedslack] [armedslack] Installing Armed on the Sheeva NAND Flash

brian kelley linuxxr at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 17 19:56:51 UTC 2009

ic  thanks

--- On Thu, 9/17/09, Stuart Winter <m-lists at biscuit.org.uk> wrote:

From: Stuart Winter <m-lists at biscuit.org.uk>
Subject: Re: [ARMedslack] [armedslack] Installing Armed on the Sheeva NAND Flash
To: "Slackware ARM port" <armedslack at lists.armedslack.org>
Date: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 2:04 PM

> is there not a way to use  dfu-utilites to install the .jffs2 file to nand?

Regardless of what tool was used to write a JFFS2 image to NAND, you'd
still need to prepare the JFFS2 image somehow.
How could this be achieved from the installer on an ARM box?  You'd need
somewhere to install to, then create a JFFS2 image from the installed
"root".
If you don't have an ARM box with the Slackware packaging tools, you have
the same challenges I mentioned about the package post install scripts.

All in all, my opinion is that the NAND is not somewhere to "install" to.
It's a place for the vendor to ship a standard Blue Peter "look, here's
what we did earlier" stock installation.
I'm not saying that it cannot be done, but I think getting SD card
installation support would be a) easier, b) more worth while since you can
have large capacity SD cards.

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----