[armedslack] I think I am missing something?

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Fri Sep 11 18:01:58 UTC 2009

> Any of the team in communication with the Marvell people? Would it be worth
> reaching out to them and seeing if an armedslack version could be factory
> loaded for the noobs that are not quite ready to build from source [it is
> fun tho ;-]

No I'm not in contact with them -- although I wouldn't have minded having
a free SheevaPlug ;-)

The SP comes with Ubuntu on the NAND flash so it's ready to be used.

I haven't installed ARMedslack onto the NAND yet -- although I did
experiment with putting the initrd onto it to avoid u-boot's hit or
miss USB detection; but it didn't work out.. yet.

> Once I get it going, I am going to build it solid state. a 16GB SD card
> should be just good enough for tan thin client where all home data is stored
> nfs or in the cloud.

Be careful here: check the plugcomputer.org forums to find out which SD
cards the SP can use -- as I said, u-boot is hit and miss -- I have 3 USB2
standard caddies here which U-boot can't detect, or won't boot from.

Also I have only got AS installing onto the SP onto a USB stick or hard
disk, as the instructions describe.  I know some of the Debian people have
been trying to figure out a working SD card and installation routine, so
it's worth checking there.
I'm not personally going to do that since I'm quite happy with the USB
hard disk route as my machines are purely work horses for armedslack.

> How 'bout a sheeva plug connected to a smart phone for internet access? Use
> the phone for the mini-display, keyboard and wireless? ;-] Talk about thin
> clients.

You could use the built in ethernet for Internet access -- it's a bit
easier but perhaps less fun ;-)

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org