[armedslack] I think I am missing something?

Stephen Pirk steve at pirk.com
Fri Sep 11 16:42:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 09:29, Stuart Winter <m-lists at biscuit.org.uk> wrote:

> > A netbook with an Intel Atom processor (x86 architecture) doesn't have
> > an ARM type processor.
> >
> > So if you just want to install slackware on your Acer netbook you do
> > not need armedslack at all....but the x86 version of slackware with a
> > tweaked kernel supporting the intel ide controller.
>
> heh.  I saw this and wondered the same thing, but assumed (I hope) that
> Steve was calling it the "arm netbook" because he wanted to put ARMedslack
> under QEMU on it!
>
> Anyway, my OpenRD client has arrived just now so I'm really looking
> forward to having an ARM box with keyboard, VGA and sound.  Now I just
> have to find where the openrd kernel patches are and drop update the
> kirkwood kernel.
>
> --
> Stuart Winter
> Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org

I think that "diversion" was caused by an early reply from Stuart, he
mentioned Slack 13 was out and it should work, but also mentioned arm might
work, so I played with that too.

Hey, I learned a _lot_ and am now ready to play with custom builds. The
slack way makes soooo much more sense that trying all those ubuntu hacks.

Any of the team in communication with the Marvell people? Would it be worth
reaching out to them and seeing if an armedslack version could be factory
loaded for the noobs that are not quite ready to build from source [it is
fun tho ;-]

Once I get it going, I am going to build it solid state. a 16GB SD card
should be just good enough for tan thin client where all home data is stored
nfs or in the cloud.

How 'bout a sheeva plug connected to a smart phone for internet access? Use
the phone for the mini-display, keyboard and wireless? ;-] Talk about thin
clients.

-steve
--
steve pirk