[armedslack] I think I am missing something?

Stephen Pirk steve at pirk.com
Fri Sep 11 16:33:57 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 01:33, Frank Guibert <frank.guibert at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/9/10 Stephen Pirk <steve at pirk.com>:
> > That is what I thought. Pretty cool running aserver in a window, but I
> could
> > not get the mouse out, so the laptop was "locked" for the night long
> build.
> >
> > Yeah, I am seeing all this now. Slack _should_ just install, but it
> cannot
> > find the IDE drive. Verra strange. I used dd to copy the qume image to a
> sd
> > card, and poped it in. Same result: "operating system not found". I even
> > installed from the slack 13 dvd iso and the install went fine, but no
> boot.
> >

> Hi Stephen,
>
> I installed Slackware 13 on a fit-pc 2 (Intel Atom Z530) and I had the
> same problem, it couldn't see the ide hard drive.
>
> Like you I tried without success to pass "ide generic" options to the
> kernel...
>
> I sorted out the problem by recompiling the kernels (both the kernel
> used by the Slack installer 2.6.29.6 and afterwards my "daily" kernel
> using 2.6.30.5) and adding pata_sch support (CONFIG_PATA_SCH=y in the
> .config file).
>
> Basically  the pata_sch support has to be either built into your
> kernel (or into the initrd...I don't use initrd would that work ??
> would that be a simpler way of adding pata_sch support on boot ??)
> otherwise the kernel won't be able to access your root partition when
> you boot.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Frank

Wow, that is very good news to hear. Let me sort out the best way to do
this. Maybe I can build a kernel here on my sony laptop with that switch,
and then put that kernel on the install dvd. Can you add a file to an iso
image, or would I need to add it to the iso tree and then burn a new install
disk from there. I will give it a try.

I was beginning to think the laptop was bad. Was just getting ready to try
and load win xp pro to see if it would boot at all, even fedora 11 fails
now. It finds the disk to install on, but I get a "no operating system"
error all the time.

Thanks Frank!
-steve
--