[armedslack] I think I am missing something?

Frank Guibert frank.guibert at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 13:49:20 UTC 2009

2009/9/11 Stuart Winter <m-lists at biscuit.org.uk>:

>> > Let me load fedora again and see what it does with the disk. Like you
>> > mentioned earlier, it will probably be a /dev/sda scsi device.
>
> I meant that in Slackware ARM, in QEMU, its discs show as SCSI
> devices.  there's no IDE support in QEMU.
>
>> I sorted out the problem by recompiling the kernels (both the kernel
>> used by the Slack installer 2.6.29.6 and afterwards my "daily" kernel
>> using 2.6.30.5) and adding pata_sch support (CONFIG_PATA_SCH=y in the
>> .config file).
>>
>> Basically  the pata_sch support has to be either built into your
>> kernel (or into the initrd...I don't use initrd would that work ??
>> would that be a simpler way of adding pata_sch support on boot ??)
>> otherwise the kernel won't be able to access your root partition when
>> you boot.
>
> Thanks for letting us know, Frank -- I see that in the "huge" kernel
> this is compiled as a module when it should be compiled into the
> kernel.
>
> I've bounced your message to Patrick.
>
> --
> Stuart Winter
> Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org

 Hi Steve,

and then you wrote :

> Or, am I supposed to be running the installer on the Acer arm netbook?

A netbook with an Intel Atom processor (x86 architecture) doesn't have
an ARM type processor.

So if you just want to install slackware on your Acer netbook you do
not need armedslack at all....but the x86 version of slackware with a
tweaked kernel supporting the intel ide controller.

Just wanted to be sure we are all talking about the same things ! :-)

Good luck with your install !

Frank