[armedslack] I think I am missing something?

Frank Guibert frank.guibert at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 08:33:46 UTC 2009

2009/9/10 Stephen Pirk <steve at pirk.com>:
> That is what I thought. Pretty cool running aserver in a window, but I could
> not get the mouse out, so the laptop was "locked" for the night long build.
>
> Yeah, I am seeing all this now. Slack _should_ just install, but it cannot
> find the IDE drive. Verra strange. I used dd to copy the qume image to a sd
> card, and poped it in. Same result: "operating system not found". I even
> installed from the slack 13 dvd iso and the install went fine, but no boot.
>
> Somewhere there is a switch, I just have to find it. Others posted lots of
> boot flags ide=xxx and other noporobe fails. Nothing. lspci never sees a hdd
> device.
>
> Let me load fedora again and see what it does with the disk. Like you
> mentioned earlier, it will probably be a /dev/sda scsi device.
>
> Ok, put the slack on the acer on hols, and time to load armedslack on my
> sheeva. Whoot!
>
> Thanks Stuart.
>
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 08:11, Stuart Winter <m-lists at biscuit.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Steve
>>
>> > QEMU is a compiler/emulator (like the 8051 dissasembler/assembler
>> > program I
>> > ran on an original '80's pc). qemu, builds the arm kernel and compiles
>> > all
>> > the programs for arm. At least that is what I see from your response.
>>
>> QEMU is a full system emulator - emulating real hardware on an x86 host.
>> It allows you to run -- in this case -- Slackware ARM , and make Slackware
>> ARM think it's running on a real ARM development board.
>>
>> It's not a compiler.  You'd be best off checking the QEMU web page
>> for more information.
>>
>> > Ok then, I let it do it's thing, growing the disk image as needed as it
>> > builds the install image, then I probably create an ISO dvd from that
>> > disk -
>> > never mind... I think I saw instructions to transfer via usb later on in
>> > the
>> > how-to.
>>
>> I'm a little puzzled by this: Slackware ARM is a port of Slackware -- QEMU
>> is an emulator.  You install Slackware ARM to an emulated SCSI hard disk
>> (which is really a single image file on your host PC); and it behaves
>> like Slackware x86 once installed -- and Slackware ARM believes it's
>> running on real ARM hardware.
>>
>> The installation of Slackware ARM will be the same as Slackware x86 -- a
>> full operating system, running off a disc.  You could make a DVD ISO of
>> it but I don't know why you'd want to, apart from say a backup.
>>
>> > Stuart, ya'll rock. Hey, what up with the hybrid bsd/penguin graphic on
>> > my
>> > regular slack 13 i686/smb install?
>>
>> Linus introduced a Temporary logo change in the .29 series.  It's back to
>> standard Tux in .30.
>>
>> --
>> Stuart Winter
>> Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org
>>

> --
> steve pirk
> [...]

Hi Stephen,

I installed Slackware 13 on a fit-pc 2 (Intel Atom Z530) and I had the
same problem, it couldn't see the ide hard drive.

Like you I tried without success to pass "ide generic" options to the kernel...

I sorted out the problem by recompiling the kernels (both the kernel
used by the Slack installer 2.6.29.6 and afterwards my "daily" kernel
using 2.6.30.5) and adding pata_sch support (CONFIG_PATA_SCH=y in the
.config file).

Basically  the pata_sch support has to be either built into your
kernel (or into the initrd...I don't use initrd would that work ??
would that be a simpler way of adding pata_sch support on boot ??)
otherwise the kernel won't be able to access your root partition when
you boot.

Hope this helps.

Frank