[armedslack] I think I am missing something?

Stephen Pirk steve at pirk.com
Thu Sep 10 00:04:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 02:09, Stuart Winter <m-lists at biscuit.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi Steve
>
> The installer is meant to be run on which ever machine you want to run
> QEMU on.
>
> A single Slackware/x86 (32 or 64bit) machine can be the NFS server used
> for the one time installation, *and* also host Slackware ARM inside
> QEMU.
>
> The tip is: put QEMU on the fastest CPU you have -- it's slow!
> QEMU 0.9 used to be significantly faster for ARM emulation than
> 0.10 -- I don't know what happened.  It got more stable but slow!
>
> Does that help?  I've adjusted the instructions in the first paragraph
> of the qemu installation document to make it clear that you only need
> one machine.
>
> Cheers
> s.
> --
> Stuart Winter
> Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org

Aha! (picture lucy flipping over backwards as charlie brown screams).

QEMU is a compiler/emulator (like the 8051 dissasembler/assembler program I
ran on an original '80's pc). qemu, builds the arm kernel and compiles all
the programs for arm. At least that is what I see from your response.

Ok then, I let it do it's thing, growing the disk image as needed as it
builds the install image, then I probably create an ISO dvd from that disk -
never mind... I think I saw instructions to transfer via usb later on in the
how-to.

Stuart, ya'll rock. Hey, what up with the hybrid bsd/penguin graphic on my
regular slack 13 i686/smb install? This doesn't have anything to do with
preliminary chrome code I have not heard of yet, does it? Has Slack always
been the best of both? (which is what we were rooting for when I worked for
EDS/Unigraphics in the '85-'95 time range.

--
steve pirk
refiamerica.org