[armedslack] An ntp hint

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Wed Sep 2 19:55:30 UTC 2009

Niels Horn wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Phil Ehrens<phil at slug.org> wrote:
> > Phil Ehrens wrote:
> >>
> >> rc.local runs AFTER everything else... That's why Slackware
> >> runs ntpd from rc.M. The clock needs to be synched before
> >> logging and network services start.
> >
> > Oops, obviously, not before syslog... But in any case, it needs
> > to be run at the same stage in the boot process as ntpd, and
> > the Slackware rc.M does it at the right point.
> >

> I suggested putting it in rc.local as editing rc.M is not for
> everyone... If you use your machine as a desktop, putting the ntpdate
> command in rc.local is good enough most of the time, as your local
> clock should be reasonably accurate. ntpdate then should only correct
> any imprecisions that crept in between boots.
>
> For servers it *is* better to edit rc.M and sync time before critical
> services (like databases etc) start.
>
> And sorry for the top-posting, I'm at work and using webmail at the moment :)

I NEVER suggested editing rc.M - I suggested editing
/etc/rc.d/rc.ntpd. As I pointed out, rc.M runs rc.ntpd
at just the right time.

I assumed that armedslack would generally be run
on small devices that would not have battery
powered clocks.

Some network applications require good clock agreement
between (possibly physically remote) nodes.