[armedslack] Armedslack/Beagleboard (someone have tried?)

Thierry MERLE thierry.merle at free.fr
Wed Sep 2 19:40:49 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:50:18 +0100 (BST)
Stuart Winter <m-lists at biscuit.org.uk> wrote:

> > > But my question here is different: someone have tried running
> > > ARMedslack "inside" Beagleboard? I am thinking buy some, and play (and
> > > make heavy use, of course) with them.
> >
> > I have a BeagleBoard, but I haven't found time yet to get Armedslack running
> > on it. It's on my TODO list though... :)
> >
> > I don't know whether the current ARM compiled Slackware will work or boot on
> > it...
>
> I knew there was someone with a beagleboard.
>
> I've done a brief web search -- Debian runs on the beagleboard so
> I would imagine that the ARMedslack packages would be ok too;
> you would need your own Kernel though - Linux 2.6.22 minimum (because
> glibc expects 2.6.22 or greater).
>
> What do you want to do with the beagle board?  I have had a quick
> look at beagleboard.org but I can't figure out exactly what the board's
> market is.
>
> Even though ARM is predominantly for embedded devices, Slackware ARM
> is aimed at "full" systems like desktop machines, or devices where
> you have disc storage and enough RAM.

Well, I am running armedslack on my NSLU2 (266MHz ARM CPU, 32Mb RAM).
It does some server stuff (imap/webmail, NFS, samba, digital TV recording, ...).
You can do something similar with the beagleboard, at least.
The dvi out + audio out makes it a good HD media player I suppose (with mplayer in fb mode).

Personally I will change my NSLU2 for the sheevaplug (I hope to receive it soon), due to CPU speed mainly.

> I'm currently looking at the OpenRD client:
> http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-openrdcdetails.aspx
> This looks like a great device because of the size of RAM and
> expansion ports; I'm waiting the plugcomputer.org forum to see how people
> get on with it before buying it though, but since ARMedslack already
> supports the SheevaPlug, the OpenRD hopefully should be relatively easy
> to get ARMedslack onto.

The wired SATA, many USB and the VGA output makes this little device a good thin PC.
Well a little old netbook is still better...

Regards,
Thierry