[armedslack] An ntp hint

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Wed Sep 2 17:40:16 UTC 2009

Niels Horn wrote:
> To run after every boot, put in in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

rc.local runs AFTER everything else... That's why Slackware
runs ntpd from rc.M. The clock needs to be synched before
logging and network services start.

> Also, it is better to use one of the servers from the ntp pool.
> (see http://www.pool.ntp.org/ for a list of servers).
> This way you won't depend on the availability of a single time server.

Good advice. I agree. I've been using ntp since the days
before pools, and I tend to forget that pools exist.

By the way, you top-posted in your reply, which is bad,
because it makes it impossible for other people to maintain
the context after you do it. See:

 http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html

Phil