[armedslack] Armedslack/Beagleboard (someone have tried?)

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Wed Sep 2 15:50:18 UTC 2009

> > But my question here is different: someone have tried running
> > ARMedslack "inside" Beagleboard? I am thinking buy some, and play (and
> > make heavy use, of course) with them.
>
> I have a BeagleBoard, but I haven't found time yet to get Armedslack running
> on it. It's on my TODO list though... :)
>
> I don't know whether the current ARM compiled Slackware will work or boot on
> it...

I knew there was someone with a beagleboard.

I've done a brief web search -- Debian runs on the beagleboard so
I would imagine that the ARMedslack packages would be ok too;
you would need your own Kernel though - Linux 2.6.22 minimum (because
glibc expects 2.6.22 or greater).

What do you want to do with the beagle board?  I have had a quick
look at beagleboard.org but I can't figure out exactly what the board's
market is.

Even though ARM is predominantly for embedded devices, Slackware ARM
is aimed at "full" systems like desktop machines, or devices where
you have disc storage and enough RAM.

I'm currently looking at the OpenRD client:
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-openrdcdetails.aspx
This looks like a great device because of the size of RAM and
expansion ports; I'm waiting the plugcomputer.org forum to see how people
get on with it before buying it though, but since ARMedslack already
supports the SheevaPlug, the OpenRD hopefully should be relatively easy
to get ARMedslack onto.

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org