[armedslack] ARMedSlack running on Neo FreeRunner

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Thu Jun 11 19:09:53 UTC 2009

It's probably more simple than you think - it took me about a week in the
evenings after work to get ARMedslack installing natively on the
SheevaPlug; which involved some additional work on the installer, and
packages, which means it *should* be easier to add new ports.
I do already have the ARM build environment setup and I know
how Slackware works pretty well, so I had a head start, but even
so, it's probably not *too* much work ;-)

The main things are:
 1.  Find yourself a good kernel '.config'
     Make sure that it does NOT compile with the 'New EABI'
     # CONFIG_AEABI is not set
     To begin with it'd be easier to compile all of the hardware
     support, including filesystems, into the kernel - just to bootstrap.
     Once that's done, go back to a modular kernel.  I can add
     support to build another Kernel and initrd pretty easily.
     Check out armedslack-current/source/k/kernel.SlackBuild
     Some of it's a bit hairy (esp the installing of modules onto
     the filesystem) but it works fine!

 2. Build the kernel.

 3. Figure out what you need to do to get the Kernel onto the
    device, how you interact with the boot loader
    Usually Debian or Gentoo have done this already, so you can
    follow their documentation.

 4. Boot the Kernel and see if it works.
    Even if you use it to try and boot the existing Linux OS
    (if it has one onboard/flash) then it'll fail because the
    OS will probably be EABI and your Kernel is oldabi.
    At least it boots :-)

 5. What I did to get ARMedslack bootstrapped onto the SheevaPlug
    was to take an existing ARMedslack installation from a QEMU
    image, extract it, partition & format a USB stick, and
    rsync the QEMU image onto the usb stick.

ftp://ftp.armedslack.org/armedslack/armedslack-current/QEMU_INSTALL.TXT

You can install an ARMedslack natively using QEMU by following the
document above.
Then rather than booting the OS and rsycning from inside the
live filesystem (since that'd take *ages* and I'd have to stop udev and
stuff like that), I mounted the
QEMU disk on the x86 and rsynced from there -- follow this doc:
ftp://ftp.armedslack.org/armedslack/armedslack-devtools/sheevaplug/qemu-to-sheeva.txt

Once that's done, I booted my new 'kirkwood' (SheevaPlug) Kernel and
it booted.
Once that was done I had to do some more work to make ARMedslack's build
scripts work with another set of Kernel and Kernel modules, and add
support for root logins over serial console; stopping some packages
from being configured from the installer.

The FreeRunner probably requires other stuff - maybe some additional
support packages, or configuration changes - but to at least get
ARMedslack running so you can login remotely, it *may* be reasonably
simple!

If anybody has any questions about it then feel free to ask on here.
I intend on releasing ARMedslack next week, now that Linux 2.6.30 has
been released; and from there I'll be starting on the new EABI port
but still could add an additional architecture to ARMedslack 12.2
at a later date, since the EABI port won't be available for a long
while.

--
Stuart Winter
www.armedslack.org