[armedslack] Updates

Mark Smith markinnz at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 19:09:15 UTC 2007

On Nov 1, 2007 10:30 PM, Stuart Winter <m-lists at biscuit.org.uk> wrote:

> > Cool!  I'm looking forward to the ISO image being released :-)
>
> You contacted me a while ago about the RiscPC?

Yup I've one of those

> The thing is that I already created the ISOs - it's easily done.
> The only sticking point for me was that during the installation,
> the kernel lock the IRQ that the RapIDE controller is using (my discs are
> on RapIDE for speed) so the hard disk stopped working.
> I'll try again soon and see what the error message was.

What's involved in making a RiscPC bootable ISO ?  Not familiar with
the process myself.

> Are the ISOs of any use to non RiscPC users?  I can't imagine them
> being much use for QEMU installations.  Most of the ARM installations
> I'm guessing, would be done over NFS.

I've been messing around via NFS ... but as I had a bit of trouble
getting a modern hard disk to work in the RiscPC, I couldn't squeeze
the gigabytes of stuff I wanted into a 1.2Gb drive, and the silly
Seagate isn't usable with the onboard IDE .. got an old 10GB drive now
though, plus I seem to remember someone mentioned that the PowerTec
SCSI boards will cause lock ups in Linux so I wouldn't be able to use
that (that true ?).

> I'm going on holiday for 2 weeks on Monday; I'll see if I can make
> some before going away, but if not I'll definitley make some when
> I get back.  If it helps people think about installing ARMedslack
> on their RiscPC then that's a good start :-)

I vote you make ISOs for RiscPCs ;-)

Mark