[armedslack] Armedslack installer

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Tue Mar 27 20:56:51 UTC 2007

Hi Sunil

> It runs at about 100 MHz on my AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz so
> it's competitive with Intel Pentiums.

Cool.  I get about 500 bogomips on  3.4GHz Pentium D which is comparable
to the 600MHz Xscale Iyonix hardware I have.

> We should probably get the installer running on QEMU
> as well, though.

No need! It already does -- has for a long long time.
That is how I install my QEMU images -- through the installer.
Now, I do have to set the date using ntpdate (or whatever)
and reboot into the installed system about 5 times after the initial
installation (due to fsck time checks (due to lack of RTC support)) but
other than that the installer works fine.

> What's more important is that I am building armv3 packages
> in QEMU now. So if you're interested in that please contact
> me for more information (and the packages!).

At the moment I have armedslack-current reasonably up to date
with Slackware-current.  I am currently working on building
modular X, which is turning out to be a bit of a pain to get packaged,
plus I haven't got X working yet either.

By the way - you don't need to build for armv3 if you are only intending
on using QEMU or some new ARM hardware -- I build for armv3 because of
a problem with the StrongARM RiscPC.

If you want to have a go at getting X working inside QEMU then that'd be
cool.  Would it help if I just uploaded armedslack-current as is?

s.
--
Stuart Winter
www.armedslack.org