[armedslack] EABI ?

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Fri Jun 22 10:37:35 UTC 2007

> I think it's better to do some kind of release of 12.0 anyway. It
> could be the last release that runs on some older hardware
> particularly if the old ABI isn't supported anymore in Glibc 2.6
> or 2.7.

The only thing is that the whole point of the project was to run
Slackware on my ageing StrongARM (which needs armv3) RiscPC -- which EABI
does not support.  Hmm.  I'll have to think about this.
On the other hand, if Linux 2.6 was ported to the Iyonix I would be happy
since I could use that as a desktop machine and with the speedups from
rebuilding as EABI, it'd probably be much more usable
(can you tell I am not a scientist? :-) )

I could maintain the Old ABI version for a while but there'd come a
point that I could not be able to build new software and so on, and I
prefer to keep up with Slackware developments.

[..]
> Furthermore I have tried to build OpenOffice.org 2.2.1 for MIPS but
> I haven't succeeded yet. After figuring this out I'll post the build script
> for ARM as well.

I wonder if Openoffice has been maintained for ARM?  I know Peter Naulls
ported it for the PsionNetbook project but I don't know if it was
maintained afterwards (I know he wouldn't have).

--
Stuart Winter
www.armedslack.org