[armedslack] Re: RiscPC install instructions for ARMedslack ?

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Thu Jan 4 16:35:41 UTC 2007

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, Mark Smith wrote:

> Well I'm 95% done .. got to go get a proper hard disk on wednesday
> since the 1.7Gb one is a pain to squeeze onto :-)

Is that big enough?

> I've done anything the hard way (any chance of Armed-Knoppix ? :-)

How can I put this politely.  "No" :)

> running "startx" does nothing except give me an "X" cursor and then
> back to console, xdm does give me a graphic login but then it to does
> an "X" cursor and then back to the xdm login again.  Fairly certain
> I've a few window managers installed, but like I said , been to long
> on the easy road!
>
> Once I get a new disk (80Gb one or something) I'll do a full install
> and see if that's better.

If you have 2MB of VRAM on the RiscPC, it should be fine.
I always do a full installation when testing it -- if you are not familiar
with Slackware, picking and choosing packages isn't a great idea since you
do not know what the dependencies are, and Slackware isn't going to do
that for you.
You could check out the error messages in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
It may be that X is depending on a package you haven't installed.

When the X packages are installed, they detect a RiscPC and install a
RiscPC X config file, so it ought to work out of the box.

> Oh yes one other thing ... when the RiscOS boot Linux app starts, is
> there a way for it to do it cleanly ?  Risc OS always complains that
> the machine was not shutdown nicely the next time it starts.

Which version of RISC OS is this?  I have never seen this before.
I checked out what *shutdown does, and it sends all the WIMP apps a call
to be nice and shut themselves down, then probably creates a file or sets
a flag somewhere to indicate everything was good.

This would have to be a patch to GRUB that replicated the WIMP_ShutDown
call (or whatever the SWI is called) and then booted Linux.
I could ask Tim about it -- I don't see any recent work on the RISC OS
GRUB port on his web page: hopefully he's still working on it :)

s.