[armedslack] Risc PC + zImage patch

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Thu Aug 2 17:49:50 UTC 2007

> Is there a RiscPC emulator for Linux that Armedslack can be installed on?

Not sure about for Linux but there was something called Red Squirrel
or similar for Windows.

> Maybe a QEMU target for the RiscPC could be added. I have packages of
> Softgun and Skyeye installed but those are probably also only for newer
> ARM platforms.

Maybe although I do not know how it works.  To boot a RiscPC you need
the images from the PROMs -- which are easy enough to rip -- but
you then have to supply them.  I'd sure like a RPC target although I can't
imagine it being *that* popular :-)

> I have also had a look at the Iyonix patch on Castle's website but even
> that one looks way to messy to be of any value. Is it possible to send
> some thorough information on pci devices and necessary drivers to this
> list or to my private e-mail?

I asked Peter who said
"I do, but he's ging to have to be a lot more specific.  His best bet is
to ask for specific information, either on usenet csa.programmer or
csa.hardware.   There's _some_ stuff on http://riscos.info too."

Or you could ask Castle -- perhaps they'd give you a machine if you
would make a 2.6 port.  The thing is that I am not sure how popular
their hardware would be anymore, especially with QEMU around -- we
had that discussion about the usefulness of ARM boards before.
However, even though QEMU is a great tool, the tests still have to
be performed on the real hardware to satisfy me.

--
Stuart Winter
www.armedslack.org