[armedslack] Re: Armedslack X status

Sunil Amitkumar Janki psychicistnonconformist at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 13:36:30 UTC 2007

Stuart Winter wrote:
> Ah cool - I've been holding off KDE et al for X -- probably a good thing
> though since Pat's rebuilding KDE again at the moment.
>
> So how will it work so that I can build the X packages for ARMedslack?
> Will I be able to take your build script and run it on my build host
> without any existing X stuff installed?  or will we still need
> a pre-package-building script to build & install all of X first?
>

> Cheers
> s.

I now have packages for the base of Xorg and could upload them somewhere.

I will have to test if building using the standard build script
(including fixes) works
and could upload those scripts and fixes as well. This will also result
in packages
that should be good enough to end up in Armedslack.

And of course you could use these feature-complete packages as a base to run
the script on your own build system to generate the final packages.

But you will need to install them first before doing so. That's why I
prefer building
in QEMU, although slow the machines are disposable. You could see it
more as some
kind of bootstrapping like when compiling gcc.

Cheers,
Sunil